Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Treadmill Stress Test

I'm going to be a bit lazy and paste what I wrote in my panic/anxiety forum about my stress test I had done today.

Just a little background, my panic attacks returned last weekend and I had my first panic attack while driving to work last Tuesday. After being pumped full of Ativan and going through the motions to make sure I didn't have a heart attack, I went home feeling so defeated and angry as I felt like I got the treatment of "oh the crazy girl who can't handle life, pump her full of benzos and send her on her way."

When did I become the crazy girl? Or at least, when did I become the girl that needs to be pumped full of meds to get through life? After my benzo coma wore off (like six hours later) I just was so angry at myself and at the things in my life I have identified as anxiety triggers.

Anyways (that's another blog for another time!) I went to my primary doc the next day (what a responsible person should do after they go to the E.R) and now that's where my other blog comes in.....so here you go:



So I have yet to post anything in the success thread and I feel like maybe this is something worthy of success reporting. (although I'm sure I've had a few successes but they're much harder to recognize than setbacks or problems!)


So last week I wrote about having a major panic attack while driving and that it was the first time this had happened to me. I freaked out and went to the E.R. as I haven't had a panic attack in some time and wanted to make sure that was all it really was. Of course (and thankfully) that's all it was and I said how defeated I felt that I was having continued panic attacks after not having one in a few months. I followed up with my primary doctor the next day and she tried to help me recognize (again) that this was indeed anxiety and that I was a relatively healthy person.

She's been encouraging me to get back to the gym as she knows that this has been my hobby and passion for the last couple of years but I just haven't been able to go as I've been scared. All the what ifs. (what if i get another SVT attack, what if my BP goes too high, what if I have a brain anyersim (sp), what if, what if, what if......) So last week she ordered a treadmill stress test as she felt it would help me accept my anxiety just a little bit more.

So today was the day and I did the test. The cardiologist listened to me. I was pretty nervous to start (heart rate was in the 90's to 100's and BP was 150/90.....it was 124/84 last week at my last dr check up) I got all hooked up to the EKG machine, got my work out clothes on (its been months!), got my rainbow Nikes on and started the test.

Lasted almost 10 mins (he told me 9 mins is average) and ended with 4.2 mph at a 16% incline. Heart did fine, BP did fine, I did fine.

I did it. I didn't collapse at the start of the test. He didn't find anything glaring on the test. My heart did just fine. I didn't pass out after he turn the machine off. My BP didn't sky rocket and my head pop. (Actually my BP evened out as you can't be anxious and walk at the same time....at least I can't....) And I actually lasted a little bit past the average!

I told myself if everything went a-ok at this appt my next challenge was going to my regular cardio class and attending. It's on Thursday at 5:30 a.m. And while I've taken four months off so I'll be going really slow, I am ready to get my shoes back on and get back in the gym. (still nervous but I'm going to push through) So on Thursday, I'll write another success story about going to my cardio class....

Cardio doc said that he of course can't promise I won't ever have another SVT moment but that he felt it was unlikely and that there was ways to take care of it and that SVT is not life threatening (generally) and is something that is easily taken care of. He asked me if this was enough to convince me back into the gym and I said it was enough to get me pointed in the right direction.....

I hate the treadmill but it felt good to move. It felt good to do the ritual of putting my gym clothes on and it felt good tying my neon green laces to the shoes i had special ordered because i love my cardio class that much. It just felt good. And I haven't felt good in a long time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment